Over the past decade, podcasting has taken the entertainment world by storm. As of May 2021, there are over 2 million podcasts online, each of them contributing to a total of over 48 million episodes!
In other words, if you’re trying to find more listeners for your podcast, it may feel like the tides are against you. After all, how can you hope to expand your audience when you’re competing with so many other shows?
- How do I get more listeners for my podcast?
- Where can I promote my podcast?
- How long does it take to grow a podcast audience?
If you’re ready to increase your audience, you’ll be happy to know that it’s not as hard as it sounds. All of your efforts boil down to three overall strategies to help you make the most of your show.
1. Upgrade Your Content
Your content is at the core of your podcast—which is why it’s so important to get it right. Having valuable content makes listeners more likely to keep listening, and it also encourages them to spread the word!
- Come up with a great name. Everyone judges a book by its title, and the same goes true of podcasts. Having a snappy, specific title that gives your potential listeners an idea of what they’re in for can prompt them to take a peek.
- Create valuable content. Offering topics and content that provides value is key. Whether your podcast entertains or informs, make sure every show is worth a listen!
- Improve your audio quality. Even if you have the best content in the world, no one wants to listen to a podcast that they have to strain to hear! Invest in better equipment, and do some DIY soundproofing if you don’t have a dedicated recording studio.
- Publish on a schedule. Your audience is more likely to tune in if they know in advance when they can expect your next episode to drop.
2. Know Your Audience
Knowing your audience is critical. Podcasts are a mashup of a business venture and an entertainment source, but both of these approaches require you to know exactly who you’re talking to.
- Get to know your audience. Whether you send out a survey or analyze traffic on your podcast’s website, get to know the people who listen. Or, if you’re just starting, decide who fits into the ideal audience niche you want to target.
- Engage your listeners. Use social media to communicate with your audience, tag people who talk about your podcast, incorporate listener feedback into your show when you can, and encourage reviews and subscriptions.
3. Market Yourself Effectively
Sure, it’s possible to become an overnight success through word-of-mouth alone, but that’s pretty rare in the world of podcasting. Most successful podcasts use the tips above to get started, but they’ll also market themselves effectively to get more visibility.
- Make yourself discoverable with SEO. If you haven’t already created a website for your podcast, now is the time to do so. Don’t forget to optimize it with the most effective SEO tactics for podcasts, like publishing audio transcriptions on your site.
- Network and promote yourself. Don’t hesitate to network with other podcasters, and make sure you’re promoting yourself often on social media.
- Use the right CTAs. Decide what listeners should do after listening, and create effective CTAs to point them in the right direction.
- Monitor your analytics. On your podcast website and any social platforms you use, monitor your analytics to see how you’re doing.
Helping your podcast stand out is just like expanding the audience for any product or service. All you need to do is enhance your quality, know your audience, and use the right marketing strategies. Working to adjust the way you run and market your show can help you earn and keep more listeners in the long term!
Want to learn more about marketing strategies for your podcast and beyond? Check out our blog for more helpful tips.